Re: Can't get modem recognized

J Y wrote:

Although I am able to use the modem in Mandrake & SuSE I can't get Debian 3.0 to see the modem. It (the modem ) is located at /dev/ttyS4. I
used ppp config to set up and the info is in there correctly. KPPP
doesn't work and when I use pon at a terminal window I get a message
that says 'unrecognized option /dev/ttyS4'. Why can't I set this up in
debian? Do I have to actually move the modem from the pci slot it's in?
 Thanks

Almost certainly because it's a so-called "win-modem". Some win-modems simply won't work in any OS except Windows; obviously yours does, _with the right driver_. You'll have to find the driver for you modem.

See if "lspci" mentions a modem. If so, that "lspci -v" might give you a clue as to the "name" of the modem or more importantly, the chipset of the modem. Then google for that info and "debian" or "linux" to see if you can find a driver for that. For example, if the chipset is lucent, you're likely to find a driver named something "linmodem.tgz". Follow the instructions for installing that, and hopefully you'll soon be up and running.

Sorry this isn't more specific. Once you get the modem's chipset and/or model number, you can repost the info here and maybe someone can provide more specific help.

--
Kent