Apache access control

I am trying to get Apache 1.3 to prompt for a password for some file located
in a particular directory on one of my sites.

I created a password file like this:

# htpasswd -c /etc/apache/passwd <username>

I entered the password and then created this .htaccess file in the appropriate
directory:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Please Authenticate"
AuthUserFile /etc/apache/passwd
Require user valid-user

I have read through all the related Apache docs on access control and googled
around for some time.  I can't figure out why this will not prompt for a
password.  I kind of need to figure this out before I can take the site live
(the password protection is a requirement from higher headquarters).

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es