Re: Am I ready for the internet?

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:19:08 +0200 (CEST),
Jimmy Johansson <jimmy@update.uu.se> wrote in message
<[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.21.0309161203530.23127-100000@Tempo.Update.UU.SE>:

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Vineet Kumar wrote:
>
> > * Jimmy Johansson (jimmy@update.uu.se) [030915 09:43]:
> > > Hello, I'm just wondering if I am ready for the internet?
> >
> > Well, there's no such thing as "finished" securing a system.  You're
> > ready when you think you're ready enough, when you've evaluated your
> > security needs and taken steps to convince yourself that they're
> > taken care of.
>
> That's what I thought and thats why I'm asking!
>
> > A couple of things you didn't mention, so I'll make some
> > assumptions.  I assume you're running stable.  I also assume you
> > have a security.debian.org line in your sources.list and are current
> > with the latest updated packages.  I also recommend that you
> > subscribe yourself to debian-security-announce and debian-security
> > (and maybe debian-firewall, if that's what this machine will be used
> > for) and pay attention.
> My machine is behind a firewall, an IpCop machine I have set up at
> home. I am running Debian Woody 3.0r0 and I have a security.debian.org
> line in my sources.list. I'm about to do a security update and then be
> ready for the"Big bad Internet", so no I am not yet current with the
> latest updated packages, but it is the first thing I will do when I
> connect this machine.
>
> I'm using this machine mostly for programming purposes and to play
> around with Debian. So it is kind of a system for personal growth! :-)
>
> Should I set up some kind of Iptablerules even though I am behind a
> firewall?

..IME, ipcop is pretty damn good, but firewalling your own boxes
inside that, is not gonna hurt your security, and it will teach
you a few lessons on debian, ipcop and iptables, so go for it.  ;-)

..myself, I should probably seal off my pxe boot traffic, but I'm
lazy and nobody complains.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: