Re: Am I ready for the internet?

* Jimmy Johansson (jimmy@update.uu.se) [030915 09:43]:
> Hello, I'm just wondering if I am ready for the internet?

Well, there's no such thing as "finished" securing a system.  You're
ready when you think you're ready enough, when you've evaluated your
security needs and taken steps to convince yourself that they're taken
care of.

A couple of things you didn't mention, so I'll make some assumptions.  I
assume you're running stable.  I also assume you have a
security.debian.org line in your sources.list and are current with the
latest updated packages.  I also recommend that you subscribe yourself
to debian-security-announce and debian-security (and maybe
debian-firewall, if that's what this machine will be used for) and pay
attention.

What will the machine be used for?  Is it a firewall?  Will it be behind
a firewall?  If neither of these, are you using at least a local
iptables ruleset to help protect the machine?

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/