Re: Using Japanese (and Chinese) on an prodominantly english system

On Monday 15 September 2003 5:01 am, Rebecca Dridan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I speak a little Japanese and am now learning Mandarin. I would like
> to be able to read and write both languages on my computers, but
> leave my systems basically in English.
>
> I'm looking mostly to be reading and writing Japanese with a text
> editor. I use vim and do not want to learn emacs. My desktop runs
> gnome on sid, and the server that I ssh into to read my mail is
> running woody. I'd like to use Japanese on both.

I use the following configuration (originally set up on a Mandrake box,
moved it over to debian and got it working well there too):

LC_TELEPHONE=en_US
LC_PAPER=en_US
LC_NAME=en_US
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_US
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US
LC_MONETARY=en_US
LC_TIME=en_US
LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US
LC_ADDRESS=en_US
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
LC_COLLATE=en_US
XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"
XIM=kinput2
XIM_PROGRAM=kinput2

This makes everything display in English, but gives the correct LANG and
LC_CTYPE to programs so that they will correctly use kinput2 as the
input method, but forces them to display all output and interfaces in
English.
This works in *all* programs, so I can use vi, xemacs, Qt & Gtk & GNOME
apps, whatever.

As far as switching between Japanese and Chinese input methods, you'll
have to do some creative LANG switching; I've seen a few posts already
suggesting how to do this.

--
Wesley J. Landaker - wjl@icecavern.net