Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:23:47 +1200
cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> I thought DOS could only handle partitions of up to ~500MB  (512?
> 528?).   I must be wrong, it happily formatted 600MB, at least for
> partition 3.

DOS (that is, FAT16) can handle partitions up to two gigabytes in size.
And you can have four of them, so eight gigs can be used. But as I
understand it, when you get to that size a lot of space gets wasted
(very inefficient block size, or something like that).

> But anyway, this is the revised scheme:
> 1   Pri DOS   500MB    Bootable    DOS6.22
> 2   Pri DOS   600MB                     W95
> 3   Pri DOS   600MB                     W98
> 4  Extended     5   DOS     500MB
>                       6   DOS     800MB

FWIW, under Linux you'll have to live with the same fudge - three
primary partitions maximum, and one extended partitions with numberous
(I think 64 is the max) logical partitions. This is a limitation of the
Intel architecture.

> > > Or, could I just use Linux fdisk?

You'll probably find cfdisk to be much easier to use.

> Well, I've found that GRUB is extremely benign (once sorted).   It
> took me a

Take a look at this excellent article if you want to install Grub:

http://www2.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue85/4622.html

regards,
Robert