Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)

On Sunday 14 September 2003 23:40, Robert Storey wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:23:47 +1200
>
> cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> > I thought DOS could only handle partitions of up to ~500MB  (512?
> > 528?).   I must be wrong, it happily formatted 600MB, at least for
> > partition 3.
>
> DOS (that is, FAT16) can handle partitions up to two gigabytes in size.
> And you can have four of them, so eight gigs can be used. But as I
> understand it, when you get to that size a lot of space gets wasted
> (very inefficient block size, or something like that).
>
> > But anyway, this is the revised scheme:
> > 1   Pri DOS   500MB    Bootable    DOS6.22
> > 2   Pri DOS   600MB                     W95
> > 3   Pri DOS   600MB                     W98
> > 4  Extended     5   DOS     500MB
> >                       6   DOS     800MB
>
> FWIW, under Linux you'll have to live with the same fudge - three
> primary partitions maximum, and one extended partitions with numberous
> (I think 64 is the max) logical partitions. This is a limitation of the
> Intel architecture.

Yes, I realise that, having set up quite a number of 'em.    But Linux
doesn't seem to mind the odd DOS partition here and there, whereas DOS throws
a wobbly (in the above example) when formatting Partition 2, if Partition 6
is non-DOS.   Very weird, but it did it for me, it did it for Pigeon.

> You'll probably find cfdisk to be much easier to use.

Yes, I agree, but all the rescue disks I've tried (tomsrtbt, RIP and Leka)
have fdisk on 'em.

> > Well, I've found that GRUB is extremely benign (once sorted).   It
> > took me a
>
> Take a look at this excellent article if you want to install Grub:
>
> http://www2.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue85/4622.html
>
> regards,
> Robert

Thanks!  In fact, I'm now running GRUB on my  main Linux drive, /hda, and I'm
intending to modify it to boot the DOS/Win drive which I'll put into the
system as /hdc.   It should just need an addition to its kernel list (or so I
hope).   But anyway I've saved the article.

Actually, I just took a look, and what was the first thing I saw but
a mention of FDISK /MBR to uninstall Grub - just what I was wanting to do on
this drive.   How opportune!    :)

cr