Re: XF86 mode question ?

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 08:09:07AM +0100, David selby wrote:
> Its quite possible I have misunderstood how to do this, I have a lot od
> "Doh !" moments.

I had an aha moment.

I set the gdm config to have two X server settings, one with 24 and the
other with 16bpp, and the Screen section is in the following:
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth 16
		Modes	"1024x768" "1152x864"
	EndSubsection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1024x768" #"1152x864"
	EndSubSection
When the 16bpp was selected, the mode went to 1024x768; then I pressed
ctl-alt-+, the resolution changed to the second one. But, the image on
the screen became smaller (I had wide blank sections on the edges of the
screen). And after I pressed ctl-alt--, I had what you had had before
(ie: the screen went into virtual mode, even I hadn't set it to be so.)

It seems that you have to live with it; I mean, in the X world, changing
the screen resolution would need you to relogin (and tinker with the
monitor's setting; ie: the image width, position, etc.)

I guess this has something to do with the modelines; ie: having
a different modeline for each resolution would have you the right image
on the screen. But, that would be beyond me.

We are on the same boat.

Oki