Re: Disk I/O stalling whole system ..

Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> said on Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:22:20 -0400:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:42:28PM +0200, Mariano Kamp wrote:
>
> | when copying from one ide disk to another ide disk on the the same
> | controller the whole systems stalls. I am running 2.4.19 on
> | unstable.
>
> I've noticed similar effects here.  Kernel 2.4.20, but only 1 disk.
> If something pushes the disk hard then most thigns, including xmms
> (which is streaming, not using the disk), becomes unresponsive until
> the heavy disk usage subsides.  (I had figured old hardware had
> something to do with it, but mabye 2.6 will improve this, as someone
> else suggested)

Oh, I just realised, you do have DMA turned on, right?

man hdparm

For me, I have to build an insert the ALI M15x3 chipset support module
first, before turning on DMA.
(I have the 1543 (?) chipset)

double value;                /* or your money back! */
short changed;               /* so triple your money back! */
             -- Larry Wall in cons.c from the perl source code