glx and xfree86 not working: why?

Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> said on Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:55:39 +0100:
> I am using xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-6 with a Matrox G550 card.
>
> Eveything works provided I don't enable the glx module in
> /etc/X11/XF86-Config-4.
>
> Two questions:
>
>     1. What exactly does this module do?
>
>     2. If it is important, is there any way to enable it?
>
> Product of glxinfo:
>
>     ac:~:$ glxinfo
> name of display: :0.0
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual

You didn't install xlibmesa-dri from experimental, did you?

I installed that, and before I restarted the X-server with the glx and/or
dri options enabled, I got that warning (it comes from within xlibmesa
or the like).

Now my 2 year old laptop is beautifully faster than my workstation :)

Just because they are called 'forbidden' transitions does not mean
that they are forbidden.  They are less allowed than allowed
transitions, if you see what I mean.