Re: xhost +localhost has no effect

on Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:44:22PM -0400, ScruLoose (scruloose+debuser@eastlink.ca) wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> So I want to log in to X as one regular (non-root) user, and then allow
> a different regular user to run X apps.
>
> After getting this error:
>   Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>   Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> I googled it and found lots of hits, all saying to use "xhost
> +localhost" to allow me to do what I want.

Nope.

Don't use xhost.  It's inherently evil.  Vaguely suitable for 1985.
Definitely not OK in 2003.

Fortunately, Debian's default X config largely obviates it.

What you want is:

    xrdb -merge ~<xserver-user>/.xauthority

...or copy contents of that file to a location the second user can
access.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux browsers:
     http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/Main/NixBrowsers