Re: Problems with SSH and X11

Jacob,

  thanks for your detailed answer - it works now.

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 05:12, Jacob Anawalt wrote:
> When you ssh with X11 forwarding, and the remote system at least has
> xbase-clients installed (the local would have a full X11 system) there
> should not be a need to use xhost. I haven't had to use the xhost
> command since I started using ssh.

> The X11 session data should be carried across the ssh tunnel instead of
> going unencrypted outside of the ssh tunnel between the two systems. If
> your $DISPLAY environment variable for your xterminal ssh session to
> rock is set to black:display[.screen] (ie black:10.0), then you would
> have to type "xhost +" or "xhost +rock" on black to get your X11 apps to
> appear on rock and the data is not being forwarded over ssh.

> Now that you've made the changes Collin suggested, when you ssh -X from
> black to rock, "echo $DISPLAY" should return localhost:display[.screen]
> (ie localhost:10.0) and not black:display[.screen]. It should
> automatically get set to localhost:display[.screen] as you connect. If
> it isn't being set to localhost:display[.screen] and you connected with
> "ssh -X rock" then something else is wrong. Maybe you haven't restarted
> the ssh daemon on black since you set "ForwardX11 yes" in the
> sshd_config file?

<restarted sshd>
mkamp@black:~/.kde$ xhost -
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
mkamp@black:~/.kde$ ssh -X root@rock
root@rock's password:
[ abbreviated ... banner / last login ]
rock:~# echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0
rock:~# xterm
< works fine.... I feel much more save now ;-)>

I guess you were right about restarting the sshd ...
Again, thanks for the help to anyone participating.

> P.s. The suggested format for posting on this list is to post your
> response at the bottom.
Ok, will obey.

Cheers,
Mariano