Problems with SSH and X11

Hi,

  I have two boxes, one with X (black) and one without (rock). I want to run
an X Application on rock, but always get the message that it is not possible
to connect to the remote xserver.

  What I do is the following:

mkamp@black:~$ ssh -X rock
The authenticity of host 'rock (192.168.0.1)' can't be established.
mkamp@rock's password:
Linux rock 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 GNU/Linux
[..] abbreviated
mkamp@rock:~$ echo $DISPLAY
[ void - just one blank line ]

From what I got from my googling. The DISPLAY variable should have been set,
shouldn't it? At least I am sure I read that one shouldn't set it by hand...

mkamp@rock:~$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:

Hmmh?!

mkamp@rock:~$ DISPLAY=black:0.0 xterm
Xlib: connection to "black:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: black:0.0
So, my X-Server on black is refusing to talk ....

On black  kdm.log says this:
AUDIT: Sat Sep  6 17:15:28 2003: 304 X: client 20 rejected from IP 192.168.0.1
port 32794

192.168.0.1 is the ip of rock.

If I run xterm locally, but with explicit IP it works:
mkamp@black:~$ DISPLAY=black:0.0 xterm

  Besides that I have another thing with SSH bugging me. Maybe these issues
are related?
When I try to copy something with scp from rock to black, like this:

mkamp@rock:~$ scp foo mkamp@black:.
mkamp@black's password:
executing /etc/bash.bashrc
mkamp@rock:~$

I just get the message that /etc/bash.bashrc has been executed, which is just
some debug message for me that this file bas been executed on rock.

  Btw. I am running unstable.

  I am also wondering why I have ssh and ssh2 on my machine. Can I remove one
of them? How? apt-get remove ssh?

  I am a bit lost and don't understand it. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Mariano