Re: Problems with SSH and X11

Mariano Kamp wrote:

On Sunday 07 September 2003 19:01, Paul Johnson wrote:

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:16:02PM +0200, Mariano Kamp wrote:
Silly me. After running xhost .. even those last problems vanished...
xhost is great...if you don't mind anybody else being able to read
your screen and what you're typing remotely without your knowledge.

 I am behind a firewall. That should be ok then, shouldn't it?

Anyway, would there be any other way to enable one box to use of X from another box?
I'll leave the "Is xhost <some option> ok here" question for others to discuss in depth, and just address the second half of your question.

When you ssh with X11 forwarding, and the remote system at least has xbase-clients installed (the local would have a full X11 system) there should not be a need to use xhost. I haven't had to use the xhost command since I started using ssh.

The X11 session data should be carried across the ssh tunnel instead of going unencrypted outside of the ssh tunnel between the two systems. If your $DISPLAY environment variable for your xterminal ssh session to rock is set to black:display[.screen] (ie black:10.0), then you would have to type "xhost +" or "xhost +rock" on black to get your X11 apps to appear on rock and the data is not being forwarded over ssh.

Now that you've made the changes Collin suggested, when you ssh -X from black to rock, "echo $DISPLAY" should return localhost:display[.screen] (ie localhost:10.0) and not black:display[.screen]. It should automatically get set to localhost:display[.screen] as you connect. If it isn't being set to localhost:display[.screen] and you connected with "ssh -X rock" then something else is wrong. Maybe you haven't restarted the ssh daemon on black since you set "ForwardX11 yes" in the sshd_config file?

Jacob
P.s. The suggested format for posting on this list is to post your response at the bottom.