Re: Debian app to read some MS file format?

on Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 04:07:04AM +0100, Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 02:17:55AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:28:33AM +0100, Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) wrote:

> > > I've pointed out that they're cutting themselves off from the
> > > increasing number of people who don't use Windows, and asked them
> > > what format it's in... anyone care to run the book on whether I
> > > get a useful answer? :-)
> >
> > Cool.
> >
> > I'd recommend you run a short for NewsForge or LWN on the outcome of
> > this.  Post the interchange on your website (or if you don't have
> > one: http://twiki.iwethey.org/ would be more than happy to provide
> > space and bandwidth) and link it with a brief one paragraph writeup.
>
> I got an answer...
>
> > From techsupport@farnellinone.com Mon Sep 08 13:01:51 2003
> >
> > Sorry, our CD catalogue is only designed to function on Windows
> > based systems. We are unable to disclose the data format.
>
> I don't really think I can take it forward from there unless I can
> find out what the format is, so I can make constructive suggestions as
> to an open-source format that they could use that it would be simple
> for them to convert to.

If you're keen to get the data, try WINE.

If this is something you paid for, return it for a refund.

Incidentally, I downloaded some PDFs from their site, which were among
the worst-displaying I've ever seen.  Not sure what they're smoking.
Characters all over the page, whatnot.

Any interest in writing this up?

Peace.

    Defeat EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/