Re: Debian app to read some MS file format?

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 02:17:55AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:28:33AM +0100, Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) wrote:
> > >
> > > Ask Farnell what they've used.
> > >
> > > And why they're restricting themselves to proprietary formats.
> >
> > I've pointed out that they're cutting themselves off from the
> > increasing number of people who don't use Windows, and asked them what
> > format it's in... anyone care to run the book on whether I get a
> > useful answer? :-)
>
> Cool.
>
> I'd recommend you run a short for NewsForge or LWN on the outcome of
> this.  Post the interchange on your website (or if you don't have one:
> http://twiki.iwethey.org/ would be more than happy to provide space and
> bandwidth) and link it with a brief one paragraph writeup.

I got an answer...

> From techsupport@farnellinone.com Mon Sep 08 13:01:51 2003
>
> Sorry, our CD catalogue is only designed to function on Windows based
> systems. We are unable to disclose the data format.

I don't really think I can take it forward from there unless I can
find out what the format is, so I can make constructive suggestions as
to an open-source format that they could use that it would be simple
for them to convert to.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons