Re: XFree86 + Signal 11 = Bad Juju

Bradley Alexander <storm@tux.org> writes:

> I've been seeing problems for the past several weeks and I am finally
> beginning to see a pattern. It started about the time I upgraded to a
> GeForce4MX after my GeForce2 died. At first I thought it was being caused
> by Gnome apps, because it was happening with greater frequency with Galeon
> and Evolution (about the only Gnome apps I use).
[snip]
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
[snip]
> Is a sig11 still usually hardware? Any other suggestions on fixes?

I had a somewhat similar problem. Well actually it was worse, because
I could not start my x-server at all. Bug report:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-x@lists.debian.org/msg07946.html

Personally I solved my problem by downgrading my x-server from 4.2 to
4.0. I don't know if this will work for you, but at least it might
tell you whether you have a software problem or a hardware problem :)

                        Good luck

--
Niels L Ellegaard  http://dirac.ruc.dk/~gnalle/