Re: Wheel mouse with mutt

Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> [2003:09:07:19:48:35-0700] scribed:
> On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 03:37:43PM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> > Actually, it *does* work -- for a time -- as I have indicated; or, at
> > least this does for me:
>
> If it does, it's only because the xterm you're running mutt in has been
> told to use 'mutt' as it's name, rather than 'xterm'.  The application
> paying attention to the mouse is still xterm.
>
> > However, it does not last more than a couple hours, after which it is
> > entirely useless.
>
> Then something you do in those "couple hours" alters things.

Or, something that the system does, which is a superset of what I do ;>

> > What I really, really want to do with the mouse is to use the scroll
> > wheel to _slowly_ page up and page down -- one line at a time -- in the
> > pager while reading _l-l-l-o-o-o-n-n-n-g-g-g_ messages.  Your suggestion
> > does *not* do that for me . . .
>
> It doesn't?  What do you think this does?
>
>             <Btn4Down>,<Btn4Up>: string("OA") \n\
>             <Btn5Down>,<Btn5Up>: string("OB")\n\ ' \
>
> That says "when you see a Btn4Down event followed by a Btn4Up event, send
> Escape+O+A to the window".  That's UP.
>
> It also says "when you see a Btn5Down event followed by a Btn5Up event,
> send Escape+O+B to the window".  That's DOWN.
>
> It doesn't matter whether mutt is in the index or the pager.  The arrow
> keys are being sent to it... what it does with them is its own business.
>
> Now... if you've told mutt to *ignore* the arrow keys, or you're using them
> for something else, then no, this wouldn't do what you expect.  Make it
> send whatever YOU need it to send.  Make it send the less_than and
> greater_than keys, if that's what you've configured mutt to use for
> scrolling.

This is debian, and this is mutt (1.5.4-1), and there is *only* one (1)
mention each of <down> and <up> in /etc/Muttrc -- and, those are *both*
commented OUT:

   # grep -i '<\(down\|up\)>' /etc/Muttrc ~/.muttrc
   /etc/Muttrc:# bind pager <up> previous-line
   /etc/Muttrc:# bind pager <down> next-line

Now that you state the common meaning of ^[OA and ^[OB, I am clear what
it is that I need to do.

> > > #	mousewheel scrolls single lines
> >
> > *Only* in the index?
>
> The fact that you think the arrow keys only work in the index makes it more
> plain that you've remapped them somehow for the pager.

Or, that you have erred in your assumption(s), as noted above -- apology
accepted ;>

> > > #	shift-mousewheel scrolls two lines
> > > #	ctrl-mousewheel scrolls four lines
> >
> > Very nice touch -- especially, if it did so in the pager . . .
>
> It does... see above.

Well, based on the behaviour of your script, it appears that you have
mapped this way:

   bind index <up> previous-entry
   bind index <down> next-entry

   bind pager <up> previous-line
   bind pager <down> next-line

Actually, although *none* of these are debian/mutt defaults, nor are
_any_ of these used in default debian/mutt:

   # grep -i '\(next\|previous\)-\(entry\|line\)' /etc/Muttrc
   # bind pager <up> previous-line
   # bind pager <down> next-line

I *DO* prefer your setup, and -- best of all -- now that I understand
what you are doing, it has been producing my desired behaviour
consistently since yesterday evening.

Thank you!

> > > unset LC_ALL
> > > export LANG=en_US
> > > export LC_COLLATE=C
> >
> > Personally, I never understand why -- in a long list -- anybody wants to sort this:

> > like this ?!?!

> Who said that was what I was after?  The en_US locale ignores punctuation
> characters in a sort, which means that:

I did *NOT* say that, did I?

>  1     -rw-rw----  1 mwilson  mail       151361 Sep 07 17:10 /var/spool/mail/mwilson
>  2   N -rw-------  1 mwilson  mwilson  15230038 Sep 07 19:20 =_caughtspam
>  3   N -rw-------  1 mwilson  mwilson     11215 Sep 07 13:50 =_junkfile
>  4   N -rw-------  1 mwilson  mwilson  15257655 Sep 07 17:40 =blackbox-ml
>  5   N -rw-------  1 mwilson  mwilson   2731866 Sep 06 17:30 =bugtraq-ml
>
> ends up looking like:
>
>  1   N -rw-------  1 mwilson  mwilson  15257655 Sep 07 17:40 =blackbox-ml
>  2   N -rw-------  1 mwilson  mwilson   2731866 Sep 06 17:30 =bugtraq-ml
>  3   N -rw-------  1 mwilson  mwilson  15230038 Sep 07 19:20 =_caughtspam
>  4   N -rw-------  1 mwilson  mwilson     11215 Sep 07 13:50 =_junkfile
>  5     -rw-rw----  1 mwilson  mail       151361 Sep 07 17:10 /var/spool/mail/mwilson
>
> Which would be fine if there weren't any mailboxes after 'j', but there
> are.  It's ANNOYING.

Yes, I agree that that is annoying, although it is a quite rare
situation for me.  Rather, to me -- IMHO -- my issue with case sensitive
alphabetic sorting is considerably more common, and also considerably
more annoying.  Do you have a solution that meets both criteria?

> > So, all in all, I learned something valuable from your exercise; but, I
> > still cannot understand howto use the mouse scroll wheel to scroll up
> > and down in long messages.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think you've got things confused between mutt and the xterm it's running
> in and who has control of and who's listening to the mouse.  I think you've
> reconfigured the default keybindings in mutt such that the arrow keys do
> not scroll single lines in the pager.  I think that you've got some
> application or process not yet described that modifies the X resource
> database and alters in some way the settings for the xterm you're running
> mutt in.

I disagree with everything you say in your last paragraph, with possible
exception to sentence #1, which is something with which I often struggle
-- hopefully, with your help, I am learning something valuable.

Thank you.

--
Best Regards,

mds