Re: Wheel mouse with mutt

Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> [2003:09:07:10:54:06-0700] scribed:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 06:26:05PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> >    mutt.vt100.translations:  #override \n\
> >             None<Btn4Down>:  string(<<) \n\
> >             None<Btn5Down>:  string(>>) \n
>
> Well, that's not going to work.  Mutt is a console-mode application, and
> doesn't participate in the X resource database.  What you want to do is
> direct resource changes to the xterm you're running it in.

Actually, it *does* work -- for a time -- as I have indicated; or, at
least this does for me:

   mutt.vt100.translations:   #override \
            None<Btn4Down>:   string(<<) \n\
            None<Btn5Down>:   string(>>) \n

However, it does not last more than a couple hours, after which it is
entirely useless.

Please, review intertwined comments below:

> Take a look at the attached... perhaps it does what you want.

What I really, really want to do with the mouse is to use the scroll
wheel to _slowly_ page up and page down -- one line at a time -- in the
pager while reading _l-l-l-o-o-o-n-n-n-g-g-g_ messages.  Your suggestion
does *not* do that for me . . .

> --
>  Marc Wilson |     It is common sense to take a method and try it.
>  msw@cox.net |     If it fails, admit it frankly and try another.  But
>              |     above all, try something.  -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

> #!/bin/bash
>
> # do mouse bindings for mutt that I find useful:
> #	mousewheel scrolls single lines

*Only* in the index?

> #	shift-mousewheel scrolls two lines
> #	ctrl-mousewheel scrolls four lines

Very nice touch -- especially, if it did so in the pager . . .

> #	ctrl-button3 is <enter>

A very nice touch, as it is . . .

> #	shift-button3 is <q>
> #	alt-button3 is <M>

Again, a very nice touch, as it is . . .

> # also remove LC_ALL setting (if it exists) and set LANG and LC_COLLATE so that
> # mutt sorts as I expect (en_US has *odd* ideas about how to sort for English
> # speakers!).  From searching in Google, the oddisms in en_US have been there
> # for a LONG time, and no one seems to think enough of it to fix them....
>
> unset LC_ALL
> export LANG=en_US
> export LC_COLLATE=C

Personally, I never understand why -- in a long list -- anybody wants to sort this:

like this ?!?!

> # depend on ~/.xsession to have set the AAREALBIGTERM env variable.
> # it's just an xterm with custom font settings...
>
> exec $AAREALBIGTERM \
>      -title "[ Mail for `whoami` @ `hostname` ]" \
>      -xrm 'XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n\
>            Ctrl<Btn3Down>,<Btn3Up>:string("
") \n\
>            Shift<Btn3Down>,<Btn3Up>:string("q") \n\
>            Alt<Btn3Down>,<Btn3Up>:string("M") \n\
>            Ctrl<Btn4Down>,<Btn4Up>:string("OAOAOAOA") \n\
>            Ctrl<Btn5Down>,<Btn5Up>:string("OBOBOBOB") \n\
>            Shift<Btn4Down>,<Btn4Up>:string("OAOA") \n\
>            Shift<Btn5Down>,<Btn5Up>:string("OBOB") \n\
>            <Btn4Down>,<Btn4Up>: string("OA") \n\
>            <Btn5Down>,<Btn5Up>: string("OB")\n\ ' \
>      -e mutt -y

Thank you.

So, all in all, I learned something valuable from your exercise; but, I
still cannot understand howto use the mouse scroll wheel to scroll up
and down in long messages.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,