Setting system clock to UTC -- how?

I was reading up on how to make my system clock set to UTC (primarily
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/system-administrator/ch-sysadmin-time.html
) and was a bit confused by this paragraph in section 16.1:

"To change the computer to use UTC after installation, edit the file
/etc/default/rcS, change the variable UTC to no. If you happened to
install your system to use local time, just change the variable to yes to
start using UTC. It is best to reboot after editing /etc/default/rcS to
get the changes effective."

To me, that says if you want to use UTC, change "UTC" in your rcS file to
"no".  But change it to "yes" to start using UTC.  I know it's late, but
am I really that tired? ;-)

So my question is how do you go about setting your hardware clock to UTC?
>From what I understand, you should change UTC="yes" in rcS, restart,
probably run ntpdate, and then run "hwclock --hwtosys --utc".  Does that
sound right?

Although I've done all of that, I still am seeing the following output:

# hwclock --show ; date
Mon Sep  8 00:56:48 2003  -0.896805 seconds
Mon Sep  8 00:56:50 PDT 2003

I was expecting to have the --show tell me that it was "Mon Sep  8
07:56:48 2003" rather than what the localtime is (-0700).  What step(s) am
I missing?

Thanks!

Mark