ICH5 in enhanced mode -> Kernel hangs on boot

Hello!

Is anyone out there successfully running a mixed SATA + PATA setup
(enhanced mode with both PATA and both SATA controllers) with the
Asus P4P800 Deluxe mainboard?

"Compatible" mode (one PATA + SATA) works fine with a stock kernel but
in enhanced mode the kernel will hang on boot.

I've searched the web and found Jeff Garzik's libata kernel patch which
should correct the problem but it doesn't for me.

I've tested the latest -ac kernels (which include libata 0.5)
(2.4.21-ac, 2.4.22-ac and 2.6.0-test1-ac) w/o success.
I have patched a vanilla 2.4.21 + 2.4.22 kernel with the latest libata
patch (0.7) but the machine will still hang...

I have even patched libata 0.7 into an -ac kernel.

But regardless what i do, SMP or no SMP, the kernel will always hang
upon boot, which is annoying since the two burners / CD-ROMs which are
connected to the 2nd PATA controller are kinda useless to me now. .

I've even gone through the pain of updating the BIOS of my mainboard.
(GREAT job Asus, your beta 1011 BIOS made my PC unbootable and your
CrashBIOS2 doesn't do shit to recover a FUBAR BIOS unlike promised.)

I've written to the author of libata (Jeff Garzik) and he thinks the
best way would be to disable IDE support in the kernel and use libata
instead but libata doesn't speak ATAPI so the burners would still be non
functioning.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

My hardware:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe mainboard
Pentium 4 2.8GHz HT
1 Gb RAM

--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice