dselect broken aptitude!?!?

Hi,

I'm currently thinking about performing some daily backups of my
data. Since all programs can be easily installed throw apt I was
thinking about only backing up the database of installed programs.
After googling I discovered the "dpkg --get-selections" command. But
after running it I noticed something strange about the list. Since I
think (maybe wrongly) that dselect is more related with dpkg than
aptitude (the program I use to install new packages) I decided to
run it to check how the package list was. I saw then that there were
some packages selected for installation that weren't selected in
aptitude. So I thought "I didn't run this for a long while now,
maybe if I do an update.....", and so I did. But everything was the
same. Then something strange happened. I ran "aptitude update" and
the usually fast update process surprised me with a slow, CPU eating
process after the line:

"Reading extended state information..."

WTF did dselect to make aptitude SO damn slow!?

Thanks to anyone who can enlight me in this matter...

---
Paladin