Re: mixing stable and testing

Vikki Roemer wrote:
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 01:14:02PM +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:

In same directory:

dpkg-source -x metalog_0.7beta-3.dsc
cd metalog_0.7beta
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot
cd ..
dpkg -i metalog_0.7beta-3_i386.deb

Ok, I did all that, but when I try to run dpkg -i, I get the following output:
neuromancer:~# dpkg -i metalog_0.7beta-3_i386.deb dpkg: regarding metalog_0.7beta-3_i386.deb containing metalog:
 syslog-ng conflicts with system-log-daemon
  metalog provides system-log-daemon and is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing metalog_0.7beta-3_i386.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing metalog
 metalog_0.7beta-3_i386.deb
neuromancer:~#
How can I uninstall syslog-ng and install metalog?  dpkg won't let me
uninstall syslog-ng before I install metalog because a plethora of packages
depend on system-log-daemon.

TIA.

# dpkg --force-remove-essential --force-remove-reinstreq --force-depends -r syslog-ng
# dpkg -i metalog_0.7beta-3_i386.deb

use force options with extreme care, but they are occasionally useful...(Only one of the force options is needed, but I am not sure which ;))