apt-get-listchanges/listbugs (was Re: Which release)

on Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 04:33:32AM -0700, Steve Lamb (grey@dmiyu.org) wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:46:31 +0200
> "Stefan Waidele jun." <Stefan@Waidele.net> wrote:
> > But with debian-unstable the chance of 'getting the workstation hosed'
> > during and 'apt-get upgrade' is greater than with debian-testing, isn't it?
>
> So don't do an apt-get upgrade.  First install apt-listchanges and
> apt-listbugs.  With those you see what's changed and if something has
> a grave bug filed against it a prompt on whether or not to install it.
> Then after that just don't do a mass upgrade all that often.  Only
> upgrade what you have to when you have to.  IE, security things and
> packages that you absolutely need the latest on.  Let the rest upgrade
> by proxy off the packages you do upgrade.  Every once in a while do a
> careful aptitude upgrade to bring the rest of the packages up to
> speed.  Following those rules I've had my server running on unstable
> for well over a year with no serious problems.  I've also had
> workstations riding unstable for over 2 years like that.  It just
> takes some judicious monitoring.  Oh, and learn how to downgrade
> packages from unstable to testing if needed.

I've just installed these.  A few questions.

  - I run apt-proxy for a set of six systems hosted off 56K dialup.  Any
    chance on caching the results of the listchanges/listbugs queries?
    Hrm.  I've also got squid running.  Should make that transparent....
    I'm assuming http transport.

  - How are people using listbugs?  With a long enough change report, I
    sort of go into MEGO.  What keywords jump out?
    '(important|serious|grave)'?

Peace.

   I forgot my mantra.