Re: Which release

On Sam, 2003-09-06 at 08:35, Stefan Waidele jun. wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > [...]
> > Avoid testing!! Testing is for testing /the distribution/ and is quite
> > f****d most of the time, as packages trickle in from unstable in a quite
> > random manner.
> > [...]
> > Unstable is ok, it's not so much the packages that are unstable, but the
> > package list changes frequently.
>
> That is just contrary from what I have read from various sources.
> So let's turn to _the_ source:
>
> http://www.debian.de/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives#s-testing
> and
> http://www.debian.de/releases/

This does not contradict what I meant, only what I said :) Sorry, sloppy
use of terminology.

I meant: it's not so much the /upstream/ packages that are unstable, as
only apps that are considered stable by upstream go into unstable. Apps
considered unstable by upstream that are already packaged for testing
purposes go into experimental repositories. Case in point: Gnome.
Unstable has Gnome 2.2, the currently stable branch of upstream. It has
not 2.3.x, the Gnome development branch, even if there's a release
candidate. The unstable thing in unstable is the debian packaging
(install scripts, additional packages by Debian maintainers to make
packages work better in Debian etc.), the teamplay of packages in the
big team that is the distribution as a whole, and the list of packages
that are part of the distro.

The info about testing on the linked sites is the theory and how it
should be. It's not how it is. And the fact that there are no quick
security fixes for testing coupled with the fact that security-related
updates in unstable may need forever to trickle down to testing is a
serious drawback