Re: Tips for serial terminal & file transfer?

on Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:46:32AM -0500, Todd Pytel (tppytel@sophrosune.org) wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 06:36:56 +0100
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > Waddyaknow (not much, you?).  PLIP works.  Sorta.
> >
> > I get some long periods of timeout, but currently have an ssh session
> > into the box.  I don't know if this is going to be feasible...
> >
> > I've played a tad with plipconfig, upping nibble and trigger to 6000
> > and 1000 (twice their defaults) on both sides of the link.  Frankly,
> > I'm not sure if this helps or not.  Hrm.  Upped it again to
> > 12000/2000. Definitely dicey.
>
> It's been years since I used PLIP, but I seem to remember that the
> default parallel port BIOS settings were not correct for me. I would
> think that those settings would be "all-or-nothing," but it may be worth
> checking into.

ThinkPad BIOS lets me set LP number (1,2,3), bidirectional or not.  No
IRQ or I/O settings.

I can't upgrade BIOS w/o a power source for the box, which would cost
more than it's worth.  BIOS upgrade won't take if box is in docking
unit.

Peace.

   We freed Dmitry!        Boycott Adobe!         Repeal the DMCA!
     http://www.freesklyarov.org