Re: Tips for serial terminal & file transfer?

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:41:24PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I'm trying to bootstrap an old 486 Thinkpad.  It's got two PCMCIA slots,
> and might make a decent gateway.

Never throw working hardware away :-)

> First problem:  I can't get external video off the system, not sure why.
> Running it through an Omniview 4-port KVM.

It's an old laptop - bent pins?

> [ getty/minicom/zmodem stuff ]

Why not run a laplink cable and run pppd at both ends? (remember to
specify "local" to pppd).  Or even plip?

It won't be fast, but it should be much less cumbersome than
uuenconde/shar or whatever.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com