Re: AOL!=USA - was (no subject)

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 15:46, Katipo wrote:
> On Saturday 06 September 2003 11:14, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > I like the internet like that.
> > > It has this tendency to dispense with myths like imaginary lines on maps.
> > > Although in the case of AOL that could definitely be a negative.
> >
> > Are you saying that when you're eating American food, wearing American
> > clothes, listening to American music, or burning the American flag,
> > it really doesn't matter where "here" is; you're in Imperial America?

Gee, and I thought my pseudo-leftist rant was amusing (if a little
true).  For example, back in '96 during a visit to Prague/Praha,
the signs of Westernism, and particularly Americanism were everywhere.

> What I'm saying is:-
>
> /quote.I remember in the early seventies, when I was in my early twenties, a
> friend and I used to stand up and speak to the lunch time crowd in the main
> square of Queenslands' state capital, Brisbane on the anti-nuclear issue. We
> must have got close to a thousand interested listeners at times. They'd
> listen, then go away and turn back into 1974 robots again.
> 'Democracy breeds complacency, and therein lies its' downfall'. (Plato - The
> Republic, 500BC.)
> The fragmentary thought structures that we have inherited from Descarte by
> way of Bacon and Newton have gained us much ground technologically, but has
> isolated us from our environment, each other, and even from ourselves.
> We have placed paradigmal restrictions on our thought structures like
> imaginary lines on maps, that unify the population masses confined within
> them, while alienating from us those beyond them. Nationalism is the
> procreator of racism.

Yes, Nationalism can easily be perverted into racism.  However,
tribalism, the seed of Nationalism, is built into all social
creatures, including humans and simians.  Thus, the old phrase
"birds of a feather flock together".

So, to somehow infer that Westernism is the problem is totally bogus.

After all, Chin conquered the fiefdoms and created China.  And
then came the Mongols...  Also, in Central & South America there
were empires, which, by definition, implies conquest.

> I've been considering the fact lately that if Bushs' administration were to
> cease 'extending the boundaries of American sovereignty' (nicely padded
> phrase for invasion, isn't it? It was employed in a forum once by a

If the people who hate America stayed home and hated, believe you
me: W would not have dreamed of invading Afghanistan or Iraq.

[snip]

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Python is executable pseudocode; Perl is executable line noise"