Re: /home partition

VEGH Karoly wrote:
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:36:31AM -0400, alex wrote:

I read the data in hda2 but there's nothing there except
./ and ../. When I read the regular /home directory (under /), all the usual /home data is present.

The partition (hda2) doen't appear in /etc/fstab --nothing there
shows that there is a separate partition for /home.

Is it necessary to edit /etc/fstab and manually enter a line
for hda2 to show that it is the /home directory?  If so, what should
this entry be?

Well if you do not have it there, you'll have to do it by hand, won't you?

/dev/hda2   /home   ext2    errors=remount-ro   0   1

I didn't have to manually enter it after I finished the procedure.
This line was created in /etc/fstab when I performed the steps you
described.

before you would do this, do the following :

mount /dev/hda2 /mnt 	# mounting the right partition (succeeds if the fs is OK
hda2 had been formatted during the installation but apparently had
no file system.  I had to do mkfs to set the file system before this
command worked.

cp -a /home/* /mnt	# copying data
rm -rf /home/* 	# use with care. this deletes the old home/ data
			# so that u do not waste space afterwards
> umount /mnt		# umounting /daev/hda2

afterwards you can try a 'mount -a' command, then check if the partition
is mounted ok.

The procedure went OK after I did the mkfs and it created
 /dev/hda2     /home      ext2    errors=remount-ro     0    1
in /etc/fstab.  I didn't have to type it in.

Now when I enter data in /home, it appears in
hda2 as I thought it should.

Thanks for the kick start-----alex