/home partition

I opted for a separate partition (hda2) for /home during the installation of Debian and it was duly formatted. However, the partition doesn't seem to be as performing as a /home directory.
Instead, the regular /home directory under / seems to be doing
the job.

I read the data in hda2 but there's nothing there except
./ and ../. When I read the regular /home directory (under /), all the usual /home data is present.

The partition (hda2) doen't appear in /etc/fstab --nothing there
shows that there is a separate partition for /home.

Is it necessary to edit /etc/fstab and manually enter a line
for hda2 to show that it is the /home directory?  If so, what should
this entry be?

What's a possible reason why the /home partition didn't 'take' during the installation process? Is it always necessary to do some post-installation editing (/etc/fstab ??) after a partition is selected for a /directory?

alex