Re: overnet, mldonkey, which one??

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 04:03:22PM +0200, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have no experience with any internet file sharing system.
> Some one told me about overnet. I searched debian repositories for it and I
> came up with mldonkey, another program to do that.
>
> Now I readed a bit about this but still I don't  feel like I can make the
> choice.
>
> Seems to me that overnet is better.
> Overnet have proxy support, I have not see this in mldonkey (maybe I miss it).
> Also mldonkey advice you to create a new acount for it to work should any
> hacker gets access to the machine. So I guess that it's not very secure.
> But seems to me that overnet isn't free, which is a big drawback.
>
> I'm looking for:
>
> 1- Easy of use.
> 2- Security.
> 3- Proxy support. (I live behind a firewall)
> 4- Work well in low bandwith.
> 5- Free (GPL)

Kind of off-topic subject, however ...

mldonkey is your friend:
- supports overnet, edonkey, bittorent, limewire, gnutella P2P protocols
  and more.
- core client architecture: telnet, GUI and web interface
- reliable and very stable

Drawbacks: search engine isn't that good (but you don't realy need it,
do you?), likes memory ;)

Save you some time trying out all the shiny clients and stick with mldonkey straight
away.

My 2 cts.
--
 .''`'.     Olivier Robert
 : :'  :    # cat Earth | sed -e s/microsoft/debian/g > Better_World