Re: ppp0 as default?

    "John" == John Kerr Anderson <johnan@student.flint.umich.edu> writes:

    John> Hi, I have a machine that has been on an ethernet network,
    John> but is being switched to a standalone dialup computer.  I
    John> cannot tell the computer to use ppp0 as the default route.

    John> I issue the command <route add default ppp0> but everytime I
    John> reconnect, it must be issued to use ppp0 again.

    John> What command can I issue that will tell the computer to use
    John> ppp0 as default???  I tried playing with the <gw> option,
    John> but claims I need an IP address.

Do you have a default route listed in /etc/network/interfaces (using
the 'gateway' keyword)? If so,  take it out. I am presuming, of
course, that your ethernet card no longer provides a default route at
any time.

As I recall, the ppp scripts will not add a default route if one
already exists. This is the case with a Sarge laptop I work with when
I use wvdial to dial into a network.

Good luck.

Cheers!
Shyamal