Re: Voodoo Graphics still supported?

Russell Shaw wrote:

markus koller wrote:

Hi,
I've got an old Voodoo1 (Diamond Monster 3D) and I'd like to use it
with X4.2. It worked without problems with X3.3 and Mesa, but I can't
figure out how to get it to work again. I googled around a bit, and
got only more confused, so I thought maybe I'd find help here.

XFree86 -configure
will generate a config file with available options.

Actually, no it wont. It'll generate a config file for the 2d card. The voodoo1/2 cards were 3d only passthrough pci cards completely unrelated to drawing the desktop. In fact IIRC, there was no IRQ or interrupt or anything other than a memory address that showed up indicating the card's presence.

Its been AGES since I used one, but when I did I think I used it on console with glide/mesa compiled for svgalib.

I'm not even sure the voodoo1/2 were ever properly supported in X. Then again at the time the only real thing to run on them was quake/quake2 which (at the time) were written using svgalib for mouse/keyboard input.

The only thing I can really say is look for an older howto. You may very well need to do some digging. If I had to hazard a guess I'd imagine that maybe when X was upgraded, mesa also was upgraded and is no longer compiled with glide suppport?

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

"The Torah...  The Gospels...  The Koran...
Each claimed as the infallible word of GOD.
Misquoted, misinterpreted, misunderstood, and misapplied.
Maybe that's why he doesn't do any more interviews." - sinfest.net

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc