Re: Nagios on Debian

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 04:55:53PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:48:40 -0700,
> "Jeremy T. Bouse" <jbouse@debian.org> top posted in message
> <[🔎] 20030902164839.GC20588@UnderGrid.net>:
> > Nagios itself is necessary... Also I've worked out the dependencies so
> > that Nagios can be setup in a distributed fashion as documented in the
> > Nagios docs where you only need the central server to have a web
> > server installed... It didn't make sense to have it "recommend" the
> > plugins but "depend" on the web server which meant you couldn't
> > install nagios as a probe-only server with no web interface and
> > installing Nagios without the plugins doesn't make much sense at
> > all...
> .."a web server" == "an Apache webserver"?  There are _several_ out
> there, even some lightweight...

	Well it's put as "apache | apache-ssl | httpd" which should
allow any web server package to be used however the packaging at this
time only knows how to try and configure itself to run on apache or

	By changing debian/control so that it "Suggests" the web server
rather than depends on it you could setup a distributed monitoring
system with Nagios as listed on the Nagios documentation[1]. Also it
made more sense to change the "Depends" to "nagios-plugins |
netsaint-plugins (>=" rather than as a "Suggests" or
"Recommends" as Nagios doesn't make much sense without them...