Re: OT: Debian Mailinglist server slow?

On Monday 01 September 2003 13:11, Pigeon wrote:

> As far as the visible particulate emissions from a steamer are
> concerned, they are universally built to a design which received
> government approval as able to consume its own smoke, dating from the
> very beginnings of steam locomotive traction. How well this is
> actually achieved depends a lot on the skill of the fireman. (And
> maintenance levels, but this applies to diesels too of course.)

The early locos used to burn coke, for this reason.    Then (I think it was
with the introduction of the brick arch in the firebox, which causes the
gases emitted by coal to be fully consumed rather than coalescing into smoke
particles), it was found possible to use coal, which of course gave far more
heat per cubic foot and was far cheaper.

And it does depend very much on the grade of coal, the design of the grate
and gas passages, *and* the skill of the fireman.

cr