router questions

Hello. Just can't seem to get this old 486 configured as a router.
The problem lies in the that I cant get both nics configured, loaded and bound to eth0 and eth1. I am able to load either of the 2, but never both at the same time. They are identical dlink, ISA 220 cards and use the "ne" module. Using this list and google, I have compiled much info on the subject, but cant determine the correct sequence of operations to make it work. Here are my specs. If anyone could kindly walk me through this or provide a nod to good documentation, I would be forever greatfull:)
COMP: 486
nics:  eth0: io=300 irq=10
         eth1  io=240 irq=3
i obtain my public ip dynamically over cable connection

Thanks,
James