Re: router questions

Hi,

James writes:

> Hello. Just can't seem to get this old 486 configured as a router.
> The problem lies in the that I cant get both nics configured, loaded
> and bound to eth0 and eth1.

> I am able to load either of the 2, but never both at the same
> time. They are identical dlink, ISA 220 cards and use the "ne"
> module.  Using this list and google, I have compiled much info on
> the subject, but cant determine the correct sequence of operations
> to make it work.  Here are my specs. If anyone could kindly walk me
> through this or provide a nod to good documentation, I would be
> forever greatfull:)
>
> COMP: 486
> nics:  eth0: io=300 irq=10
>        eth1  io=240 irq=3

To my understanding, this should do it.

       modprobe ne io=0x240,0x260 irq=5,9

Here is a lengthy answer that I wrote before realizing the above will
do the trick and doesn't really pertain to your situation:

I have a similar set up. The trick IIRC is to use isapnp ala

    http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/isapnptools.html

            ("apt-get install isapnptools")

*OR* use one of the newer kernels making sure to compile ISA-PNP into
the kernel and then load the ne module.

   The second method is much easier but briefly this is how one does
it using isapnp tools.

     1) Run pnpdump:

           pnpdump > dmp

     2) edit dmp. For example:

# Card 1: (serial identifier 2e f3 16 9f 05 11 20 05 07)
# Vendor Id AXE2011, Serial Number 4078345989, checksum 0x2E.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.0
# ANSI string -->NETGEAR EA201 Ethernet Card<--
#
# Logical device id AXE2011
#     Device supports I/O range check register
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x39
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3f
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE AXE2011/4078345989 (LD 0
#     Compatible device id PNP80d6
#     Logical device decodes 10 bit IO address lines
#         Minimum IO base address 0x0240
#         Maximum IO base address 0x0380
#         IO base alignment 32 bytes
#         Number of IO addresses required: 32
# (IO 0 (SIZE 32) (BASE 0x0240) (CHECK))
#     IRQ 3, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
#         High true, edge sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))
 (NAME "AXE2011/4078345989[0]{NETGEAR EA201 Ethernet Card}")
# (ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

You'll need to modify the various parameters (IO and IRQ) until
such a time as when you load ne it works correctly, e.g.

modprobe ne io=0x240 irq=3
eth0: whatever

So, to recap, you update the "dmp" file:

(IO 0 (SIZE 32) (BASE 0x0260) ) # NO CHECK!!!!! ***** <--
#     IRQ 3, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
#         High true, edge sensitive interrupt
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
 (NAME "AXE2011/4078345989[0]{NETGEAR EA201 Ethernet Card}")
 (ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

    3) and then run:

            isapnp < dmp  (or maybe just "isapnp dump"; check the man page)

       then try modprobe:

            modprobe ne io=0x260 irq=5

       and perhaps it will work.

    4) Now, assuming that it does work, YOU NEED TO COPY OVER THE
       WORKING "dmp" file (the one generated by pnpdump and edited by
       you until it works) over to

               /etc/isapnp.conf
       so that
               /etc/init.d/isapnp

       uses it at boot up.

So, to re-cap, at this point you can boot up and manually type in:

       modprobe ne io=0x240 irq=3 (just example parameters)

and the kernel responds appropriately.

To do more than one,

       modprobe ne io=0x240,0x260 irq=5,9

####
Anyway, if this doesn't work let me know as it has been a long time
since I did it with isapnptools. By simply compiling isa-pnp support
into the 2.4 kernel its simply a matter of "modprobe ne".

Sincerely,
Elizabeth