Re: OT: Debian Mailinglist server slow?

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 22:32, cr wrote:
> On Saturday 30 August 2003 21:19, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 01:44:43AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > > ..2 reason diesel-electric locomotives are popular; they are
> > > about as clean as your average power utility, and they dont
> > > put heavy loads on the power grids.
> >
> > Nope, and nope.  Diesel electrics are popular because they give the
> > most bang for the buck.  Vastly more efficient than gasoline engines
> > and mechanical transmissions (it's 2003, why can't I get a diesel
> > electric car?, with fewer moving parts than the steam engines it
> > replaced.  This makes them dirt cheap and bloody reliable.
>
> Not quite so.   When diesels were introduced they cost several times as much
> as a steam loco of equivalent power.   They have far more moving parts,
> though smaller, and the 'electric' part of the installation gave trouble for
> many years.    Maybe they've found more reliability now.    They require far
> more sophisticated servicing than a steam loco.

The DEs I've seen trundling past my house create very little exhaust.
Steam engines create a *lot*, and need to be regularly replenished
with consumables.  DEs just look to be more fuel efficient, and less
offensive to the neighborhood.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft made
it popular"
David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del