Re: OT: centrino & battery life ?

From: Joan Tur <jtur@wanadoo.es>
>Subject: OT: centrino & battery life ?
>To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

>Hallo!

>I'm planning purchasing a centrino based laptop (Acer TM 290)... but
>I'd like
>to know if the 5 hours battery life Acer announces are real in a
>linux
>world...

>Has any of you got a centrino based laptop?  If so, could you tell me
>how long
>does the battery last?

>Of course I know it depends on real work, but it is going to give me
>an idea
>;)  F.i.  my HP Omnibook 6000 lasted 3 hours, and my actual laptop, a
>HP
>Omnibook XT1000 lasts about 2,5 hours... and I'm not compiling the
>kernel  ;)

>Thanks!!!  ;)
>--
 > Joan Tur. Eivissa-Spain
 >AOL quini2k,  ICQ 11407395
  >  www.ClubIbosim.org
>Linux: usuari registrat 190.783

Dear: Joan

I just bought my wife a dell 600m with the Centrino chip, even though
my wife does not use linux.  From reading different reports on
www.tuxmobile.com I would have to suggest that the battery life under
Linux is very good.  But Intel has not been very good in porting
drivers over to Linux you might want to read up about it on
http://www.tuxmobile.com/centrino.html.

Another thing that might be of concern is that if you plan on using
wireless is that those chips do not support anything other than
802.11b.  If you have an 802.11a network you will have to have
another card.

Also do you plan on using a Distributed client?  I hear that the
Centrino is great at Seti as well as Folding at Home.  I have RC5-72
on my wifes but Intel chips do not like the RC5 clients, I have a AMD
xp 1700  which gets about a third better than my wifes 1.6 Gig
Pentium M Centrino.  But that is only on when my wife is plugged in,
and the laptop is off most of the time.

catch you later;

Rthoreau