Re: Any project for turning linux into a hd video recorder?

Hi,

  first of all thanks to all people responding.

> Was it MythTV? I stumbled on it once too. Looks pretty cool. I'd try it
> if I was into watching TV.
> http://www.mythtv.org/

  Freevo and mythtv look both very cool. I haven't been able to dig up a in
depth comparison, but used the below mentioned messag to make a first
judgement and go for mythtv.
  http://lists.snowman.net/pipermail/mythtv-users/2003-May/003496.html

  Two points important to me are

  a) that currently have the tv card plugged into my firewall as this is the
only machine which is permanently switched on and has large hdds.
I know that this is not perfect, but for pragmatic reasons and a very
restrictive firewall I believe that is ok.
As a consequence I need to be able to get along with the capturing and serving
without X11 involved.
On a first look MythTV seems to do the job ... ?!

 b) I'd like to watch german tv (actually I'd like to watch american/english
tv, but that is not served here). That doesn't seem to be a problem with both
projects as they both seem to rely on http://membled.com/work/apps/xmltv/.
Btw. At the bottom of the page is a nice listing of projects using xmltv. A
good start for looking for other projects.

 The first obstacle in installing MythTv is, that I haven't been able to
install it. I had a look at www.apt-get.org and found
http://www.apt-get.org/search.php?query=myth&submit=Submit&arch%5B%5D=i386&arch%5B%5D=all.
But when trying to i apt-get install mythtv it complains missing library
versions.

# apt-get install mythtv
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  mythtv: Depends: mythtv-frontend (= 0.11-1) but it is not going to be
installed
          Depends: mythtv-backend (= 0.11-1) but it is not going to be
installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

I'll have a look at the mailing lists.

Cheers,