Re: dist-upgrade -vs- apache -vs- newbie

"Brendan & Jennifer Smith" <smithb1@gte.net> writes:

> 1.  (*) text/plain          ( ) text/html

(Please post to the list in plain text only.)

> From what I've read, I believe I understand that once a "stable"
> release is usurped by a new stable release (i.e. what will happen to
> woody once sarge is ready), the security updates (for woody in this
> example) discontinue.

More or less, yeah.  There's actually been some discussion of this in
the past; people aren't necessarily anxious to jump forward to the
next release if they have a stable production server that works well.
Security releases have generally been continued for some amount of
time after the next stable release, but not indefinitely.

> So, if I want to run a small web server at home with Debian and Apache,
> once Woody is outdated, will the dist-upgrade feature take me to Sarge
> and preserve the Apache files and settings with maybe some tweaking of
> the httpd.conf file, or would it be more complicated than that.

The upgrade should definitely preserve your existing files and
settings, yes.  The upgraded package won't go out of its way to stomp
on your existing httpd.conf.  :-)  (I believe the default setup does
try to do things like automatically generate LoadModule lines, but
that's about it.)

> To parse it out; to maintain a secure web server with a distribution
> that maintains its security would require dist-upgrade, right? And that
> would bring forward all the settings. right?

Probably, and yes.

	-- Abra Mitchell