Re: FW: OT: Why is C so popular?

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:42:17PM -0600, Jacob Anawalt wrote:
Ok, I'm not arguing pro/con Java here, I just have question. What other option do I have for web browser enabled client/server communication without reloading the page* that I can use in Koqueror or other non-mainstream graphical** browsers?

Go check out http://brunslo.com/, there's a chatbox on one side.  It
works well.
<form id="frmchat" action="/content.php?node=Big+InfoChat" method="post"
onsubmit="chat.value=textbox.value;textbox.value='';">

Um, I must have done something wrong, or maybe you overlooked my 'without reloading the page' requirement. The whole page reloads when I click 'say'. Since the examples of my requirements were snipped, here they are again:

*Like real-time financial market quotes or a chat window.
** Just so I wouldn't get a 'ya, you're not using Java in Lynx'.

Just to make my question/point clear, a frame is not an acceptable answer - inline or not - to my question. A second window that is reloading and talking via JavaScript could be a solution for some, but not what I'm after (besides the pop-up might be blocked or the user might close that window - ya ya ya and they might have Java disabled). I'm talking about something like a market data quote and news ticker or something similar that doesn't rely on an auto-reload interval. Real-time quotes with people re-connecting to download the whole page (or frameset) every second is not a good idea if you want to scale well. If there's something else besides Java out there that runs on Konqueror and would be sutible (to me, see above) for a market data and news ticker, point me at it.

Jacob