Any project for turning linux into a hd video recorder?

Hi,

  I remember stumbling over an article some time ago. It was on, I believe,
slashdot referring to an assembly project with the goal of turning a linux
box with a tv card into some sophisticated vcr, with electronic programm
guide and also the ability to stream videos and to record from the tv
program.

  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find this article again and google
didn't spit out anything I found useful (maybe the wrong keywords).

  Any ideas?

Cheers,
Mariano