Re: [OT-ish] IGPL - Idea General Public Licence

Karl> What if we made a GPL for Ideas?  Write up your idea, and licence
Karl> it under a GPL like licence.  Since I cannot just get a thing done
Karl> or manufactured, perhaps I can get my idea accomplished by simply
Karl> sharing it...?

Ideas cannot be copyrighted.  In order to protect an idea, you need to
patent it, which costs money and effort, and then you can make a
license, but it's not really worth it if you're just going to give it
away.

What some people have done (unfortunately, I don't have a link) is to
write up ideas, thus providing documentation for prior art, which
prevents others from patenting your idea.  But that won't force people
who use your idea to open up improvements on your idea.

Karl> I was thinking about how things like that could be done under a
Karl> GPL or open hardware like system, with an industry co-op for
Karl> research and design sharing, college tuition scholarships,
Karl> internships, etc...  they could licence the blueprints in some way
Karl> that would ensure that nobody "takes over" and overcompetes for a
Karl> sales area or something... but there could be more factories and
Karl> distributed world wide to simplify logistics for new ones and
Karl> _compatible_ replacement parts.

Designs and blueprints are probably copyrightable (maybe depending on
jurisdiction), and so you could apply the GPL, FDL (without invariant
sections, etc.), or any other free license.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA