Re: 2.4 kernel, sis900 module, won't work

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:

> Geoffrey Prewett <prewett@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>
>> I recently bought a Sony GRT-170 laptop and have been trying to install
>> Debian on it.  I have been successful in getting 2.2.20 (3.0r1) to both boot
>> and have network (sis900) support.  Unfortunately, 2.4 kernels refuse to
>> work.  modprobe sis900 works great, but the network simply does not work;

Sounds more like a network problem, maybe the module *is* working?

> I had sis900 working (with disabled APIC) on woody and 2.4.20 (IIRC) and
> still do on sarge with 2.4.21, so don't give up ;-)  I don't know why it
> works for me but not for you, sorry.  My hardware is different from yours.

One thing, I forgot to mention:
I had to *de*-select IO-APIC support on uniprocessors when building the
kernel. But then I have heard, that my mainboard has some problems with
APIC anyway...

Robert