Re: 2.4 kernel, sis900 module, won't work

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:35:56 +0200
Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> wrote:

> Geoffrey Prewett <prewett@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>
> > I recently bought a Sony GRT-170 laptop and have been trying to
> > install Debian on it.  I have been successful in getting 2.2.20
> > (3.0r1) to both boot and have network (sis900) support.
> > Unfortunately, 2.4 kernels refuse to work.  modprobe sis900 works
> > great, but the network simply does not work; DHCP fails and pinging
> > from a static ip address fails.  (The same config commands work in
> > 2.2.20)  I tried kernels ranging from 2.4.0 to 2.4.22 and nothing
> > works, compiling them myself and using stock Debian kernels.
> >
> > I did find that in order to boot successfully I had to disable APIC
> > ("noapic" on the lilo command line), otherwise all 2.4 Debian
> > kernels would hang immediately after IDE devices were detected.  I
> > suppose that it is possible that this prevents the network devices
> > from being properly detected and configured.

sis900 always worked fine for me (with a PC).Used that motherboard with
kernels from 2.2.16 to 2.4.20 w/o any trouble at all.
You might be barking up the wrong tree and have some problem with the
network settings.
What does ifup/ifdown tell you?

Klaus