Re: modules of different kernels (same version)

Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Robert Epprecht (<epprecht@solnet.ch>) wrote:
>
>> If I compile different kernels (of the same version) most documents
>> say to rename the /lib/modules/x.x.x/ directory before doing the
>> 'make modules_install' step.
>>
>> How can I boot the system after that with an older version?

> You can use the "EXTRAVERSION" of the Kernel to have the Modules
> installed in different directories. [ ... ]

> This way the modules will not be installed in the same directory.

Thanks a lot for explaining.

> Maybe you also want to take a look at kernel-package and its make-kpkg
> program.

Yes, I know that and have been using it.

>> Could somebody please give a pointer to a document describing how
>> to do that?

Roberto Sanchez gave me the following good advice

> Save yourself some trouble and read this fine HOWTO on
> compiling kernels the Debian way.
>
> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Thank you Roberto. I *did* know this excellent tutorial.  My problem was,
that I had an outdated local copy, which did not treat this problem yet,
but gave the advice to rename the module directory...
The new version is much improved.

Robert