Re: Getting XFree 4.3?

David Z Maze wrote:
Jon Haugsand <jonhaug@ifi.uio.no> writes:

My Dell Latitude needs XFree 4.3, but I'm not sure how to get it for
my Woody laptop.

IMHO, you'll run into too many problems if you try to go the backport
route; lots of things depend on the X libraries (which, fundamentally,
haven't changed in 10 years) and there have been reports of people
mixing backports and running into huge dependency problems.  All you
really want is a newer X server.  So find your favorite XFree86
mirror, download Xxserv.tgz and Xmod.tgz, unpack those in /usr/local
(or a subdirectory of /usr/local/stow, if you use stow), repoint the
/etc/X11/X symlink to point at /usr/local/bin/XFree86, and edit your
XF86Config-4 file.  You're still using the XFree86 4.1 libraries, but
this shouldn't make a difference to anything (aside from maybe dpkg).

An easier way to get Xfree86 4.3:

Put this unofficial from http://www.apt-get.org/ into sources.list:

  # XFree86 4.3:
  deb http://people.debian.org/~nobse/debian/woody/experimental/ ./

(i have sources for "testing" distro too)

apt-get update
apt-get install -t testing xfree86-common xbase-clients xserver-xfree86 xlibs