Re: Getting XFree 4.3?

Jon Haugsand <jonhaug@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> My Dell Latitude needs XFree 4.3, but I'm not sure how to get it for
> my Woody laptop.

IMHO, you'll run into too many problems if you try to go the backport
route; lots of things depend on the X libraries (which, fundamentally,
haven't changed in 10 years) and there have been reports of people
mixing backports and running into huge dependency problems.  All you
really want is a newer X server.  So find your favorite XFree86
mirror, download Xxserv.tgz and Xmod.tgz, unpack those in /usr/local
(or a subdirectory of /usr/local/stow, if you use stow), repoint the
/etc/X11/X symlink to point at /usr/local/bin/XFree86, and edit your
XF86Config-4 file.  You're still using the XFree86 4.1 libraries, but
this shouldn't make a difference to anything (aside from maybe dpkg).

	-- Abra Mitchell