devfs backward compat. problem

Hi all,

firstly please excuse possible line wrap problems and lack of my usual gpg
signature. I'm sending this via squirrel mail for reasons described below.

I'm running sid with a 2.6.0-test2 kernel with devfs. Yesterday I did a
dist-upgrade and then shut down. The devfsd package was _not_ upgraded.
I'm not sure if it is relevant but initrd-tools was upgraded.

I rebooted today to find that none of the old style device nodes are being
created in /dev. For example my root partition /dev/hda4 is not there. As
you can guess this causes no end of problems.

The first problem was that the file system check failed because /dev/hda4
could not be found. I worked around this by editing my /etc/fstab and
replaced  /dev/hda4 with /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 and
similarly for my other partitions. However this was not enough to get a
usable system.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to proceed would be
greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Nick.